These easy and tasty green chutney sandwiches are made with fresh cilantro, mint, butter and potato slices. Yum!
Want something quick and tasty to nibble on? Make some chutney sandwiches!
There are so many ways you can have them … as a mid-morning snack at work, with a hot cup of tea in front of the television (my favorite) or just when the mood grabs you, wherever and whenever. Honestly, they’re so easily assembled that I don’t have to think twice about making them. I’ve even put some in my kids’ lunch bags occasionally and they haven’t complained. They’ve actually rather liked them and helped me make them as well. And the good thing is that when you’ve made one batch of chutney, it lasts a few days in the fridge. So you don’t have to make it fresh every time you want to have these beauties.
How to make these chutney sandwiches
- Make the green chutney
- Boil potatoes and cut into slices
- Spread some butter on a bread slice and layer with potato slices. Sprinkle salt and pepper on it.
- Spread the green chutney on another bread slice and place it on the first slice. Slice off the edges of the sandwich if you want to and cut the sandwiches in half.
That’s it! That’s how simple it is. A fuss-free, healthy sandwich is ready in a few simple steps.
Sandwich chutney recipe
Making the green chutney for sandwich is a matter of throwing a few ingredients in a blender and blending for a couple of minutes to get a puree. Here are the ingredients you put in the blender –
- a bunch of cilantro
- half a bunch mint leaves
- one small tomato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green chilli
This is a very versatile and tasty dip. You can have it with so many Indian snacks and appetizers like paneer fingers (cottage cheese fingers), chicken malai tikka (grilled pieces of boneless chicken in a delicious marinade) and even main dishes like matar pulao, a vibrant rice dish with fresh garden peas.
The cilantro-mint chutney is what gives these sandwiches their unique look and taste, but you can experiment with the other ingredients.
Sometimes I’ve tried other combos with the chutney like shredded cheese, tomatoes, lettuce or a giant all-in-one sandwich that has a little bit of everything! A little cheddar right on top of the potatoes tastes especially good if you are partial to cheese. Here’s a really good cheese and vegetables sandwich from Delighted Baking you might want to try, if you want a different version. However, if you want to keep it simple and fuss-free, the potatoes do taste great by themselves.
Other Indian snacks you might want to tryPrint
These easy and tasty chutney sandwiches are made with fresh cilantro, mint, butter and potato slices. Yum!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 sandwiches 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Stove top cooking and blending
- Cuisine: Indian
For the chutney:
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, washed
- 1/2 bunch mint leaves, washed
- 1 small tomato
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 green chilli
For the sandwiches:
- 12 slices white or brown bread, sides cut off
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled and cut into thick slices
- coarse black pepper
Put all the ingredients in the blender and whizz to make a puree.
- Spread butter on one slice of bread and layer with a few potato slices. Sprinkle a little black pepper on top.
- Spread a thick layer of chutney on another slice and place it on the first slice to make a sandwich.
- Repeat with the remaining bread and store the left-over chutney in the fridge.
- Add some cheese, lettuce or sliced tomatoes to the sandwiches if you want a more filling snack.
- Store the left-over green chutney in a sealed glass bottle in the refrigerator. This chutney lasts upto a week in the fridge.
- You can make these sandwiches with brown or wholemeal bread too.
- Calories: 228.2
- Sugar: 3.4
- Sodium: 390.1
- Fat: 6.3
- Saturated Fat: 3.4
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.6
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 37.4
- Fiber: 3.6
- Protein: 12
- Cholesterol: 12.4
Keywords: chutney sandwiches, Indian snacks, bread snacks
Did you try this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!