This instant pot goulash is American goulash or American chop suey made easy. A hearty one-pot dish with ground lamb, macaroni, tomatoes, broth, spices and seasonings, this is a kid-friendly meal and a crowd-pleaser! Did I mention it's really easy to make in the instant pot?
One-pot meals are my favourite and if they're as easy as this instant pot goulash, yay! I love pasta but sometimes tire of dinners like plain ol' old mac and cheese. So I switch things up by making this incredibly flavorsome American goulash with ground lamb. You can use beef of course, if that's what you like. I prefer lamb so lamb it is for me.
American goulash is different from Hungarian goulash, in case you're wondering. Unlike the former, the Hungarian version is more stew-like and made with chunks of meat rather than ground meat. I haven't had Hungarian goulash but look forward to trying it one day! For now, I'm happy with my instant pot American goulash.
Note: exact amounts are given in the recipe card further down in the post.
How to make goulash in the instant pot
1. Switch on your instant pot and press sauté (normal). When the display shows HOT, add oil, onions, garlic, bouillon cube and tomato paste. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the ground lamb and half a cup water. Stir well, cover the pot with a glass lid (affiliate link), and cook for 10-12 minutes. The extra water prevents the meat from sticking to the bottom or drying out while it is cooking.
3. Add the broth, sea salt, black pepper, paprika, water and macaroni. Mix everything well. Deglaze the pot, cancel sauté, secure the lid and pressure cook for 4 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure and open the pot.
4. Add the cheddar and oregano or thyme. The cheese will melt in the residual heat from the pot. Serve hot with some extra herbs sprinkled on the top.
Some useful tips and notes
1. If you want more liquid in you goulash, increase the amount of broth to three cups.
2. Like a spicy goulash? Sprinkle a teaspoon of cayenne or chilli flakes in addition to the paprika.
3. Switch up the herbs according to your taste. Oregano or thyme work well but you could also substitute with Italian seasoning.
4. Finally, don't forget to deglaze the pot before pressure cooking to avoid getting the burn notice!
Other easy instant pot recipes you might likePrint
Instant Pot Goulash
Instant pot goulash is a hearty one-pot dish with ground lamb, macaroni, tomatoes, broth, spices and seasonings.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 8 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Pressure cooking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 beef bouillon cube
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 lb. or 450 gm ground lamb
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups macaroni
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- Switch on your instant pot and press sauté (normal). When the display shows HOT, add oil, onions, garlic, bouillon cubes and tomato paste. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb and half a cup water. Stir well, cover with a glass lid and cook for 10-12 minutes. Deglaze as needed.
- Add the broth, sea salt, crushed black pepper, paprika, 1 cup water and macaroni. Mix everything well. Cancel sauté, secure the lid and pressure cook for 4 minutes. Do a quick release of pressure.
- Open the pot and add the cheddar and oregano or thyme. The cheese will melt in the residual heat from the pot. Serve hot with some extra herbs sprinkled on the top.
- You can substitute lamb for beef if you want. The cooking times will remain the same.
- If you want the goulash a bit spicy, add a teaspoon of cayenne in addition to the paprika.
- The bouillon cubes will have salt in them, so adjust the salt according to your taste.
- Switch up the dried herbs for Italian seasoning if you have it.
- Increase the amount of broth or water if you want your goulash more liquidy.
- Calories: 376.9
- Sugar: 2.9
- Sodium: 806.7
- Fat: 21.9
- Saturated Fat: 9.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 19.6
- Cholesterol: 23.7
Keywords: instant pot goulash, American goulash, American chop suey
Did you make this instant pot goulash recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!