Instant pot potato soup is easy, comforting and nutritious. Made with the humble russet potato, this thick and chunky vegetarian soup has readily available ingredients like carrots, onions and garlic. Dashes of butter and cream add a lovely texture and richness to it!
Needing a hearty bowl of soup to cheer you up? Make this creamy potato soup in your instant pot. It has ingredients that most people will have in their pantries and freezers, so there is no need to go grocery shopping. And yes, if you don't have fresh chives or other herbs, you can totally leave them out! They work as a garnish and your soup will not suffer for lack of them.
If soup is what's keeping you going in these difficult times, do check out my other soup recipes. They are all made using an instant pot and are customizable. Add or delete ingredients according to what you have at hand. That is the beauty of soup after all. You don't have to stick to the ingredient list 100% of the time. Throw in what you have and you'll still end up with something quite tasty:)
Why this potato soup recipe works
- Uses common pantry and freezer ingredients - we've all stocked up on things like flour, potatoes, onions, garlic, butter and broth, right?
- Easy to make - making this instant pot potato soup is a simple matter of adding the ingredients to the pot and pressing a few buttons. No culinary expertise required.
- Quick - if you have 35 minutes to spare, that's all the time you need to make this soup from start to finish including prep time. Yay!
- Filling, tasty and nourishing - it always surprises me that with such straightforward ingredients and an equally straightforward cooking method, the soup still turns out super-delicious.
Ingredients you will need, omissions and substitutions
There are some pretty easy to come by ingredients in this recipe, but let's talk about a few omissions and substitutions in case you don't have some of them.
- Chives can be omitted completely, or you can use any other herb (fresh or dried) you have. If using dried, add just a pinch or two.
- If fresh cream or even milk is not available, make do with powdered milk. Follow the directions on the powdered milk packet to make 1 cup of milk and add it directly to the soup after releasing the pressure in your instant pot.
- Carrots can be substituted with any frozen vegetables you might have like mushrooms or cauliflower or even broccoli. Each will add its own distinctive taste and color, but the soup will not be any worse for it. The idea is to be creative over here!
- Of course, potatoes being potatoes, use any kind you have.
How to make instant pot potato soup
- Chop the onion fine
- Mince the garlic
- Peel the potatoes and dice them into small cubes
- Chop the carrots
- Switch on your instant pot to sauté (normal) and melt the butter.
- Add the sliced onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Cancel sauté.
- Add the potatoes, carrots and broth to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes and once the timer beeps, release pressure after 10 minutes.
- Open the pot and switch to sauté again. With the back of a wooden spoon, mash the vegetables lightly. They should be soft enough to break easily.
Tip: If you like your soup smooth instead of chunky, use an immersion blender and blend the soup right in the pot. Just a few rounds will do since the vegetables are already quite soft.
- Add the flour dissolved in a few tablespoons of milk and stir until the soup thickens (2 minutes).
- Stir in the cream and top with chives and some more black pepper. Serve hot.
Note: The flour and cream are added after opening the pot as you don't want to get the burn warning on your instant pot. This sometimes happens if there is not enough liquid in the pot. Flour and cream act as thickeners, so they're best added after pressure cooking. Here's more on the subject in this post: Instant Pot Burn Notice: What, Why and How to Troubleshoot.
More Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup - broccoli and cheese are made for each other and when they come together in a creamy soup, it’s pure comfort in a bowl!
- Tomato Soup - simple, homemade tomato soup with croutons, garlic bread, a light dusting of dried herbs, and swirls of cream. Mmm!
- Mushroom Soup - comfortingly thick and tasty with an Indian twist.
- Lentils Soup - sunshine in a bowl. With ginger, garlic, tomatoes and turmeric, you'll be hard-pressed not to scoop it all up with some bread.
Instant Pot Potato Soup
- 6-quart Instant Pot Duo
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion chopped fine
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 small russet potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon white flour dissolved in a few tablespoons milk
- ¼ cup whipping or heavy cream
- 1 bunch chives chopped
- Turn on your instant pot to sauté (normal setting) and melt the butter. Add onions and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes or until the onions and garlic are softened and aromatic. Cancel sauté.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, broth, salt and pepper and mix well. Secure the lid, make sure the steam release vent is on sealing, and set to pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.
- After the timer beeps, wait for 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Open the pot and switch to sauté again. Mash the vegetables lightly with the back of a spoon.
- Add the flour dissolved in milk and stir until the soup thickens (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the cream and top the soup with chopped chives. Serve hot.
- If you like a chunky soup, mash the veggies lightly. If, however, you like your soup smooth, you can blend the soup with an immersion blender. Just a few rounds of the blender should be enough.
- Substitute the heavy cream with 1 cup of milk if you don't have or want to use cream. Or use half and half or sour cream if you so wish.
- Instead of fresh carrots, you can add frozen vegetables of your choice. Mushrooms and cauliflower work well.
Did you make this instant pot potato soup? Don't forget to give it a star rating below!