Instant Pot Method
- Switch on the saute mode on your instant pot and add the ghee or oil. When it melts, add the cumin, cinnamon, bay leaf and cloves and cardamom (if using). Let the spices sizzle in the hot ghee for a few seconds or until they change color.
- Add the rice along with the water in which it was soaked, lemon juice and salt.
- Cancel the saute mode and switch on the pressure cooking (manual) mode. Close the vent, secure the lid and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- When the timer beeps, release the pressure after 5 minutes. Open the cooker and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve with a dal or curry of your choice.
Note: Jeera rice in a rice cooker also follows the same steps as above, right down to the amount of water used.
- Melt the ghee or oil in a saucepan on medium heat and add the cumin and the rest of the spices. Let the spices sizzle in the hot ghee for a few seconds or until they change color.
- Add the rice along with the water in which it was soaked, lemon juice and salt. Let the liquid come to a roiling boil.
- Reduce the heat and let the rice simmer in the saucepan until most of the water has been absorbed.
- Now cover the pan and let the rice cook in its own steam for 3-4 minutes on the lowest heat possible.
- Remove from the hob and let the pot rest for a few minutes more, covered. Take off the lid, fluff the rice with a fork and serve with a curry of your choice.