A pepper chicken recipe that’s made with just five ingredients besides chicken: onions, black pepper, green chillies, yoghurt and ginger-garlic paste. No muss, no fuss!
Not in the mood for cooking something that takes hours to make and has an ingredient list a mile long? Try my pepper chicken recipe for a meal that’s healthy, easy and super-tasty.
Every time I cook pepper chicken, it gives me pleasure to think that a nice, very different tasting dish can be made with such less effort.
Yes, ginger-garlic paste is something you’ll need to make or buy if you don’t already have a batch in your fridge (it is one of the staples of Indian cooking after all). But apart from that, the other ingredients that go into it are ones that most people already have.
The point is that you don’t even have to go grocery shopping for special ingredients to make it. It’s that straightforward!
I have noticed that pepper chicken tastes much better with freshly ground, coarse black pepper. You can do this in two ways:
1. Use a pepper mill and turn it a few times on the coarse setting.
2. Grind some peppercorns in a spice of coffee grinder. Just a few seconds because, remember, you want coarse granules.
So, if you’re planning to use the fine, powdery black pepper that’s been lying around in your kitchen cabinet for the last few months, ditch it, and get grinding black peppercorns while making this recipe.
Your pepper chicken will be punchier with these simple hacks, I promise you that!
Pepper Chicken Recipe
- 1 small chicken on the bone, cut into 14 pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut thickly into 4 or 5 pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1.5 tsp coarse black pepper powder
- 1 or 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1 cup yoghurt
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
1. Take the yoghurt in a bowl and add ginger-garlic paste, black pepper and salt. Marinate the chicken in it for 10-15 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onions. When they turn pink, add the marinated chicken and cook on a high flame for five minutes. Lower the heat and cook until the gravy reduces and the oil separates (25-30 minutes). Stir once or twice.
3. Add the green chillies, cook for 5 minutes more and turn off the heat.