Aloo Curry (Indian Potato Curry Recipe)
An easy vegan potato curry that tastes awesome with hot poori, an Indian bread.
Servings 4 cups
- 2 medium potatoes
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 green chilli
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Boil the potatoes in an instant pot or stovetop pressure cooker until soft.
Peel and quarter the potatoes. Take each quarter in your hand and press until it breaks into uneven chunks.
Heat oil in a wok or karahi and add the mustard, cumin and nigella seeds.
When the seeds splutter (30 seconds), add the powdered spices and ginger and garlic pastes. Saute for a minute. Add a few tablespoons of water if required.
Add the potatoes and mix well.
Add 2 cups water, curry leaves, green chilli, tamarind paste, sugar and salt. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Aloo curry is ready to be served with pooris.
- Nigella seeds are also known as onion seeds or kalonji. They are black in colour and have a distinctive smell and taste.
- Substitute tamarind paste with mango powder or amchur if you want.
- Substitute curry leaves with cilantro if you can't get hold of the former.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 204.4kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.1g | Protein: 1.9g | Fat: 13.8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 12.2g | Sodium: 608mg | Fiber: 2.8g | Sugar: 2.6g