Besan ka Halwa (Chickpea Flour Dessert)
Besan ka halwa is a gluten-free Indian dessert made of chickpea flour, ghee, jaggery, milk, milk solids and nuts. Soft, aromatic and easy to make!
Servings 25 pieces
- 1 ½ cups chickpea flour besan
- ½ cup ghee
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 1 ½ cups jaggery
- 1 ½ cups milk solids khoya
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 tablespoon almonds chopped
- 2 tbsp cashews chopped
Heat the ghee in a pan and add besan. Roast on low heat with a wooden spoon until the mixture turns a caramel brown.
Heat milk in a saucepan and add the jaggery, khoya, cardamom and nuts. (Reserve a few nuts for garnishing later). Stir until the jaggery and khoya have dissolved in the milk.
Pour the above milk mixture into the besan-ghee mixture. Stir on low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and the halwa thickens.
Take out the halwa in a platter and cut into diamonds or squares. Top with nuts.
- Keep the heat LOW at all stages of cooking this halwa. If you increase the heat to cook it faster, it will burn.
- Stir the halwa continuously in a circular motion using a wooden spoon both when roasting the flour in ghee and after adding the milk mixture. The halwa will brown evenly if you do this.
- Roast the chickpea flour in ghee very well. The mixture will change texture and color as you do this. Stop when you get a caramel-like thick paste.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 11mg | Potassium: 92mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 27IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg